Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technology 8th Edition, ISBN-13: 978-1305578296
[PDF eBook eTextbook]
- 1728 pages
- Publisher: Cengage Learning; 8 edition (January 1, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1305578295
- ISBN-13: 978-1305578296
Develop the knowledge and skills you need to maintain and troubleshoot today’s complex heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems with REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITIONING TECHNOLOGY, 8th Edition. This practical, easy-to-understand book provides hands-on guidance, practical applications, and the solid foundation you need to fully understand today’s HVAC service and repair, its environmental challenges, and their solutions. Focused on sustainable technology in today’s HVAC/R industry with an emphasis on new technologies and green awareness, the 8th Edition covers the latest advances in the industry and the all-important soft skills and customer relations issues that impact customer satisfaction and employment success. Memorable examples, more than 260 supporting photos, and unique Service Call features bring concepts to life and help you develop the critical skills you need for success in your future career.
Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technology is designed and written for students in vocational-technical schools and colleges, community colleges, and apprenticeship programs. The content is in a format appropriate for students who are attending classes full-time while preparing for their first job, for students attending classes part-time while preparing for a career change, or for those working in the field who want to increase their knowledge and skills. Emphasis throughout the text is placed on the practical applications of the knowledge and skills technicians need to be productive in the refrigeration and airconditioning industry. The contents of this book can be used as a study guide to prepare for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mandatory technician certification examinations. It can be used in the HVAC/R field or closely related fields by students, technicians, installers, contractor employees, service personnel, and owners of businesses.
This text is also an excellent study guide for the Industry Competency Exam (ICE), the North American Technician Excellence (NATE), the HVAC Excellence, the Refrigeration Service Engineers Society (RSES), the United Association (UA) STAR certification, and the Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Distributors International (HARDI) voluntary HVAC/R technician certification and home-study examinations.
The book is also written to correspond to the National Skill Standards for HVAC/R technicians. Previous editions of this text are often carried to the job site by technicians and used as a reference for service procedures. “Do-it-yourselfers” will find this text valuable for understanding and maintaining heating and cooling systems.
As general technology has evolved, so has the refrigeration and air-conditioning industry. A greater emphasis is placed on digital electronic controls and system efficiency. At the time of this writing, every central split cooling system manufactured in the United States today must have a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating of at least 13. This energy requirement was mandated by federal law as of January 23, 2006. SEER is calculated on the basis of the total amount of cooling (in Btus) the system will provide over the entire season, divided by the total number watt-hours it will consume. Higher SEER ratings reflect a more efficient cooling system. Air-conditioning and refrigeration technicians are responsible for following procedures to protect our environment, particularly with regard to the handling of refrigerants. Technician certification has become increasingly important in the industry.
Energy audits have become an integral part of evaluating and assessing an existing building’s energy performance. Higher efficiency standards for the energy performance of new buildings have been established. Higher levels of training and certification have been developed for HVAC/R technicians to meet the needs of more sophisticated, energy-efficient buildings and HVAC/R equipment.
● WiFi and learning thermostats
● Thermostat applications for smart phones and other electronic hand-held devices
● Fossil-fuel furnace technologies
● Intelligent refrigeration case controllers
● Variable air volume (VAV)
● Variable refrigerant flow (VRF)
● Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation
● Natural refrigerants (hydrocarbons), their structure, boiling points, GWP, ODP, applications, charge amounts, serviceability, handling, transportation and safety
● R-22 alternatives
● System efficiencies with respect to EER, SEER, HSPF
● Supermarket refrigeration systems
● Microchannel heat exchangers
● Air-conditioning and heat pump technologies
● Ductless split systems
● Variable frequency drives
● Dry coolers
● Mechanical piping techniques
● Basic electronic theory
● Blueflame burners
● Boiler setback controls
● Mixed air systems
● Ventilation requirements
● Detailed coverage on crankcase heaters
● Detailed coverage on compressor oil pumps, partition walls, and oil check valves
● New photos on scroll compressor valve plates and other damaged valve plates
● Hydrofluoro-olefin (HFO) refrigerants
● Digital evaporator defrost and efficiency controllers
● Digital “Smart” gauges and manifolds including Bluetooth technologies
● Calculating water usage for water-cooled condensers
What makes us different?
• Instant Download
• Always Competitive Pricing
• 100% Privacy
• FREE Sample Available
• 24-7 LIVE Customer Support
There are no reviews yet.