Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics 9th Edition, ISBN-13: 978-1119391388
[PDF eBook eTextbook]
- 875 pages
- Publisher: Wiley; 9 edition (January 17, 2018)
- Authors: Michael J. Moran, Howard N. Shapiro, Daisie D. Boettner, Margaret B. Bailey
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1119391388
- ISBN-13: 978-1119391388
In the 21st century, engineering thermodynamics plays a central role in developing improved ways to provide and use energy, while mitigating the serious human health and environmental consequences accompanying energy—including air and water pollution and global climate change. Applications in bioengineering, biomedical systems, and nanotechnology also continue to emerge. This book provides the tools needed by specialists working in all such fields. For non-specialists, this book provides background for making decisions about technology related to thermodynamics—on the job and as informed citizens.
Engineers in the 21st century need a solid set of analytical and problem-solving skills as the foundation for tackling important societal issues relating to engineering thermodynamics. The ninth edition develops these skills and significantly expands our coverage of their applications to provide
• current context for the study of thermodynamic principles.
• relevant background to make the subject meaningful for meeting the challenges of the decades ahead.
• significant material related to existing technologies in light of new challenges.
In the ninth edition, we build on the core features that have made the text the global leader in engineering thermodynamics education. We are known for our clear and concise explanations grounded in the fundamentals, pioneering pedagogy for effective learning, and relevant, up-to-date applications. Through the creativity and experience of our author team, and based on excellent feedback from instructors and students, we continue to enhance what has become the leading text in the field.
New in the Ninth Edition
The ninth edition features a crisp new interior design aimed at helping students
• better understand and apply the subject matter, and
• fully appreciate the relevance of the topics to engineering practice and to society.
Other Core Features
This edition also provides, under the heading “How to Use This Book Effectively” an updated roadmap to core features of this text that make it so effective for student learning. To fully understand all of the many features we have built into the book, be sure to see this important element.
In this edition, several enhancements to improve student learning have been introduced or upgraded:
• The p–h diagrams for two refrigerants: CO 2 (R-744) and R-410A are included as Figs. A-10 and A-11, respectively, in the appendix. The ability to locate states on property diagrams is an important skill that is used selectively in end-of-chapter problems.
• Animations are offered at key subject matter locations to improve student learning. When viewing the animations, students will develop deeper understanding by visualizing key processes and phenomena.
• Special text elements feature important illustrations of engineering thermodynamics applied to our environment, society, and world:
• Energy & Environment presentations explore topics related to energy resource use and environmental issues in engineering.
• BioConnections discussions tie textbook topics to contemporary applications in biomedicine and bioengineering.
• Horizons features have been included that link subject matter to thought-provoking 21st-century issues and emerging technologies.
Suggestions for additional reading and sources for topical content presented in these elements provided on request.
• End-of-chapter problems in each of the four modes: conceptual, checking understanding, skill building, and design have been extensively revised.
• New and revised class-tested material contributes to student learning and instructor effectiveness:
• Significant content explores how thermodynamics contributes to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
• Key aspects of fundamentals and applications within the text have been enhanced.
• In response to instructor and student needs, class-tested changes that contribute to a more just-in-time presentation have been introduced:
• TAKE NOTE… entries in the margins are expanded throughout the textbook to improve student learning. For example, see Section 1.2.3.
• Boxed material allows students and instructors to explore topics in greater depth. For example, see Section 3.5.2.
• Margin terms throughout aid in navigating subject matter.
What makes us different?
• Instant Download
• Always Competitive Pricing
• 100% Privacy
• FREE Sample Available
• 24-7 LIVE Customer Support